CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars." -Henry Van Dyke

Friday, February 29, 2008

[Statement]. [Question]?

Here's a song that's making a residence inside my head: "Let's Go Fly a Kite" Heard of it? Don't know how it got there, but on a day like this, it's very appropriate.

Here's a feeling that I won't be able to get over: pulling apart, limb-by-limb, a CRAWFISH Have you done this? It's quite a sickening feeling really, but after the first few things you tear off, you sort of just get over it and finish what you need to do. This crawfish was dead, so don't you worry your little head that I'm becoming sick and sadistic by tearing apart live animals. That's just awful. Any corruption that I possess, you have probably already seen, so no worries.

Here's an interesting thought: I love learning about human anatomy. Do you? It's simply amazing everything that is in the body. I would be perfectly fine with just studying how the body works for the rest of my days. The intricacies, the mind-boggling intricacies. Today, I was reading up on the respiratory system for Medical Terminology and randomly said out loud, "I really want to 'rip apart' a human body." Danielle was sitting next to me and was a bit startled by my sudden outburst. What was actually meant by it was that I would like to dissect a cadaver and see exactly how the human body is put together. Everyone grows up with some sort of notion of how it all works, but to actually see it with your own eyes... man, that would be amazing.

Here's another thought: I am a bit morbid (sometimes) without meaning to be. Have you noticed this and not told me? Just last night, while explaining what I want to do with my life to a person I had just met, I said, "Yeah, I'm looking forward to the centrifuge... and the blood." NOT INTENTIONAL mind you. Now I am sure that this person thinks I have an unhealthy fascination with blood... What was actually meant was that I am looking forward to working with specimens in a lab setting where one can analyze what may or may not be wrong with it. Again, I am not that sick.

Here's something to look forward to: tonight we're going to a Jewish Synagogue/Temple and next Friday we're going to an Islamic Mosque. You jealous? It should be pretty awesome I think. Hopefully everything goes well and it will be an amazing learning experience.

9 insights:

Jenny said...

who's we?
and i'm VERY jealous.

it should be very awesome.

err, i imagine that Temple was awesome, and i expect that going to the Mosque will be quite an amazing experience as well.

where are these houses of worship? i don't recall any in sioux center...

Alvin said...

PULLING APART A CRAWFISH... and then sucking the juice from the head before eating the tail... is the best thin you can do with a crawfish. You don't learn too much in terms of zoology, but your relationship with the people you're eating with becomes much richer.
Apparently, working with a cadaver keeps you from eating any chicken or pork for a year. But, yes, I think it'd be fascinating too. Why don't you just get married and explore that way? Without the cutting of course.

Melissa said...

jenny- we is our major world religions class. it was pretty awesome, until a guest speaker gave a lecture on nature. it was good, but oh so very long and drawn out. the rest of the service was the done the regular way... the synagogue is in sioux city and the mosque is in omaha, i think... we're taking an entire day to go down there this upcoming friday... i'm pretty stoked.

alvin- as much as i'd be willing to try to eat crawfish (which wasn't a very high probability in the first place), the thought of it was ruined by tearing apart a preserved crawfish that had colored latex injected so that we could see the heart and blood vessels. although if it came down to it, i would watch people eat crawfish and simply tell them the names of the various parts of it.

jason said...

Yes, I have.
No, I haven't.
Not particularly.
No, but I'm probably not around you enough to have noticed.
Yes, I am.

Alvin said...

Sucker, Jason. You missed a hell of a presentation on nature.

jason said...

Yes, I did.

Mela said...

sicko! and all this time I've been sitting next to you in class. But now that my eyes have been opened to your freaky, disgusting, morbid blood fetish, I'll be sure to keep my distance, lest I become the next victim of your scalpel. ;)

lisa said...

i love eating crayfish... they look like mini lobsters. The only differences are the size, the fact that they come from creeks, and the fact that they are free!!!

Renae said...

You are cute possibly one of the cutest girls I know... whether you are a bit morbid at times (I have never noticed before).