CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars." -Henry Van Dyke

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Something to Think About While Starting the New Year: the Importance of the Moment

Life is such a precious thing, but unfortunately, it is so often taken for granted. Easy to do though, and everyone has done it. I have done it.

This thought shouldn't make us stop living though. We are not to become misers of the moments that we have, because they are so fleeting. We should, instead, seize the moments that we have and bask in them, taking it all in with our eyes, ears, hearts, minds and souls wide open.

I first had my real taste of experiencing what life should be like in the last few months before my father's death. He became a model for me and my family. As hard as it was to see his life slowly dwindle down, it was absolutely beautiful to see how he lived. When the diagnosis was made, I believe he made the decision to live it up. Not in the way where one does all of the crazy things they always dreamed of doing, but in a 'seize the moment' sort of way.

One of my personal favorite memories is just playing football with him in the park with my brothers. He made an utter fool out of himself, dancing around and smiling after he had picked himself up from tripping. It didn't matter who saw him. There was such a twinkle in his eye and an overall goofiness in his demeanor. The sun and the trees only added to the beauty of the moment, which is now only a recording that replays itself in my mind. That memory always brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes, even now. It is a perfect representation of taking in the moment.

Tomorrow was never certain for him, but what makes us think that it is certain for us? The fact is, it isn't. Sure, we expect to wake up in the morning, usually with groaning because of the hour, but it is still not for certain. We don't know. So what's keeping us from living like he did?

James did a good job of emphasizing exactly this by saying, 'Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.'

What a mist we could be if more people basked in every moment, soaking it in and appreciating it for what it was...



.................................



But as idealistic as that may sound, a reality check comes along and brings me back from the elation that the thought brings.

Still, if I could, I would encourage every person to think about this more frequently. Life is fatal, and what will be left when you are gone is the imprint of what you chose to do in the moment.

0 insights: